A Travellerspoint blog

Canberra/Singapore/Yangon - Saturday, 14 January 2017

Business Class all the way!

sunny 28 °C

Sule Shangri-La Hotel - Room 2207 - on the top floor.

We boarded on time and were escorted to our seats. We think they are the best seats in the plane, bar First Class! We are on the right hand side of the plane and the first seats in Business Class. We have a huge amount of room and our seats lie flat like a bed. We had a champagne on boarding and I have just ordered and received a Singapore Sling, so very soon I'll be in La La land! Phil is having Chivas Regal, on the rocks.


We phoned Ingrid and Elfi at Brisbane Airport before we boarded and their flight is leaving about the same time as ours and we arrive in Singapore at the same time too.

The holiday has begun!

We were offered a meal just after we boarded, but I declined and Phil had a turkey sandwich. I snuggled down and went to sleep. My seat stretches out absolutely flat so I had plenty of room for sleeping. Phil started to watch a movie but he fell asleep too. About 3.30 am we were woken for breakfast because the pilot had made good time during the flight and we were going to be landing 30 minutes earlier than expected. We both had a continental breakfast and the plane was on the ground in Singapore and we were in the terminal by 4.45 am. Phil did comment that this flight is going to be called the "Red Eye Special" from now on!


Our flight landed at Terminal 2 and our next flight to Yangon was leaving from Terminal 2, so we had a huge walk to find our lounge but we needed it after our long flight. Ingrid and Elfie were waiting at the lounge for us and it was so lovely to see them again. Their flight from Brisbane had landed at Terminal 1 and they had to walk over to Terminal 2 because the Sky Train and the buses weren't running at that time in the morning.


Changi Airport is just beautiful and has such lovely displays.


It is also the Year of the Rooster soon.


Because our flight from Canberra arrived early, we had three hours to wait until our flight left for Yangon, but the time went really quickly chatting and catching up with Ingrid and Elfie.

By the time we boarded, I was starving and when they offered a cooked American breakfast, we both jumped at the chance. I gobbled it down so quickly and I hope no one was watching, because they would have thought I looked like a pig, but I was starving. Then I went to sleep. It is amazing what a good meal and a sleep does for a person!

Yangon Airport is huge. Back in the sixties, it was the biggest airport in Asia, but has since been taken over by Singapore, Hong Kong and KL.

We breezed through Immigration, collected our bags, connected with our Scenic transfer driver and then proceeded on the long drive into the city to the Sule Shangra-La Hotel, right in the centre of the city. The traffic was horrific - sometimes we just sat there for ages and ages, with no one going anywhere. But we chatted to our guide about Myanmar and found it all very informative. The drive from the airport to our hotel in the centre of the city probably took about an hour and it wasn't because of the distance - just impossible traffic. This is a city of almost 6 million people.


The hotel is lovely and as we are on the top floor we have access to the Club Lounge for Happy Hour and breakfast and coffee etc during the day.


First disaster - on unpacking my bag, I discovered that my purple shampoo had leaked everywhere, so I had a lot of cleaning up to do, and rinsing of some clothes. Thank goodness it is just shampoo and not a dye as it all washed out very easily. Now I have clothes hanging in the window, trying to dry in the sun!

We went for a walk to find the Bogyoke Aung San Market, which was just around the corner from our hotel. Nothing amazing here. Just people selling lots of local produce and junky clothes and souvenirs. It is warm outside, but not unbearable at all.


We came back to the hotel and had a swim in the pool. The water is 22 degrees, which was a tad cool, but once you were in, it was okay.


Met Elfie and Ingrid in the Horizon Lounge for Happy Hour. The snacks were substantial so we decided to have an early night and see what tomorrow brings.

Our tour officially starts at 6.00 pm tomorrow, when we meet with the other members of our group and our tour leader.

Posted by gaddingabout 05:47 Archived in Myanmar

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint